We are looking for a talented Backend Engineer to join our exciting team in Dundee, working as part of our core engineering team on the WRLD platform. If you’re excited by the prospect of being at the core of a small and innovative team, I suggest you read on.
WRLD3D is a software technology company who develop a cloud based SaaS 3D mapping platform. The WRLD platform enables our customers to build applications that incorporate real time, geospatially accurate 3D maps drawn using gaming software technology. We license access to the platform to enable our customers to deliver compelling and engaging geo-centric applications and services.
We provide a number of web services to support our 3D maps SaaS hosted on both cloud-based and on-premise infrastructure. This role will include development, maintenance and deployment of our web services. For our enterprise clients we provide support during staging and production roll outs and ensure that services continue to run quickly and robustly.
We expect candidates to have strong problem solving skills, to have a passion for developing quality software, to be extremely self-motivated and to thrive in a team environment.
A bunch of good reasons why you should apply
Working at WRLD3D means you’ll always be working on something interesting. We pride ourselves on being agile and pragmatic, working at a swift, sustainable pace to deliver early and often. We put great attention to the wellbeing of our team, which is why we’ve adopted flexible work hours.
Our agile development approach and regular reviews of working practices mean that learning and improvement are integral to our day-to-day working lives. As a small studio, we are always striving for ways to be more effective. We do this through frequent, open communication, tight collaboration between disciplines and an absolute minimum of bureaucracy.
We think this provides the perfect environment for us to realise our full potential as developers. We are making a place where good people can become great.
Here’s what we need in a successful candidates
These are the must-haves. The core skills you’ll need to be successful in this role.
- You should have experience of working in at least one backend technology stack (e.g. NodeJS, Scala, Java, Ruby on Rails).
- You should have the ability to engineer performant backend systems using appropriate algorithms and data structures.
- You should have an understanding of modern service deployment, including build automation and testing, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, containerisation and orchestration.
- You should be familiar with high availability strategies such as load balancing, data replication and automated failover processes.
- You should have an understanding of cloud infrastructure or Platform as a Service.
- You should have some understanding of running and maintaining operational environments including logging, log rotation and system monitoring.
- You should have some understanding of Unix system administration.
- You should have some knowledge of debugging TCP/IP networking issues.
- You should be familiar with network switching and routing concepts.
- You should have an understanding of OOD (e.g. design patterns, SOLID).
- You will be degree educated in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a similar discipline, or have equivalent professional experience.
- You should be adaptable, with an eagerness to learn new technologies as appropriate for the role.
- You must have the right to work and reside in the United Kingdom – i.e. European Economic Area / Swiss national or holding current UK work permit.
The following are an advantage
But don’t sweat it if you haven’t got the full stack.
- Knowledge of agile and lean development, Scrum, Kanban, Pair Programming and TDD.
- Familiarity with Cisco IOS.
- Build configuration management and automation (for example Nant, Rake, Make etc).
- Knowledge of AWS and Heroku.
- Contributions to open source software projects.
If the requirements above describe you, we want to hear from you!
But, what can we offer you?
Here are some of the benefits we can offer you in exchange for your talent and commitment:
- Salary up from £35,000 p.a. to £40,000 p.a.
- Matched contribution-based pension – up to 5%.
- Private health cover.
- Life Insurance.
- Childcare Vouchers.
If you want to work on a revolutionary 3D mapping platform, please send your application to email@example.com
WRLD3D is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment selection is based on objective, job-related criteria, as well as a commitment to diversity. Applicants will be chosen on their merits and abilities.