WRLD is a software technology company who develop an indoor and outdoor mapping platform, making use of 3d gaming technology. Our SaaS platform enables our customers to build applications that incorporate our 3d maps. We license access to the platform to enable our customers to deliver compelling and engaging location-based applications and services.
We are looking for a Head of Software Development to join our small and innovative cross-discipline team, based in Dundee, Scotland. The role will entail leading the development and operation of our software products, working in close collaboration with our senior executive team to deliver our business goals.
At WRLD we are always working on something interesting. We use a wide range of technology stacks, and encourage a culture of cooperation and collaboration. We share knowledge and learn from each other by pairing, reviewing code and encouraging generalism. We also practice automation, continuous deployment, automated testing and explorative design. This lets us move quickly, but sustainably, with a commitment to supporting a healthy work-life balance.
Here’s what we need in a successful candidate:
These are the must-haves. The core skills you’ll need to be successful in this role.
- You have a passion for developing high quality software.
- You can demonstrate previous leadership of a software development team.
- You have been part of a cross-discipline team of software engineers, artists, UX designers and QA testers.
- You use your knowledge of software engineering principles to guide the team in technical and architectural decision making.
- You act as a coach and mentor to your team members to help them grow professionally.
- You are flexible and adaptable, eager to learn new technologies and approaches.
- You are fluent in at least one OOP language (e.g. C++, C#, Java).
- You understand modern service deployment, including build automation and testing, Continuous Integration, Continuous Delivery, containerisation and orchestration.
- You are educated to degree level in Computer Science or similar, or have equivalent professional experience.
- You are confident in engaging with customers to understand their needs in order to build better software.
- You are able to contribute to our product roadmap.
- You have the right to work unrestricted in the UK.
These are great to have:
These are all skills and technologies that we are involved with here at WRLD - familiarity with some of these would be an advantage, but don’t worry if you don’t have them all.
- Development of interactive products such as games, VR or AR experiences.
- Mobile development for iOS or Android.
- Backend technology stacks (e.g. NodeJS, Scala, Java, Ruby on Rails).
- Frontend web technologies (e.g. JS, React, Redux).
- Design and maintenance of APIs or SDKs.
- 3d graphics using WebGL, OpenGL, Metal or similar.
- Familiarity with cloud services (e.g. AWS, Azure).
- Linux system administration.
- Knowledge of computational geometry techniques.
- Involvement with Open Source projects.
- Distributed computing using MapReduce frameworks such as Hadoop or EMR.
- Manipulating GIS data, using e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL, OGR.
- Customer support.
- Practice of Agile and Lean development principles.
- Project management.
- Product management.
- Evangelising technical products to development communities through conference presentations, blogs and similar.
- Presenting effectively to non-technical stakeholders.
If the requirements above describe you, we want to hear from you!
But, what can we offer you?
Here are some of the benefits we can offer you in exchange for your talent and commitment:
- Salary up to £100K.
- Matched contribution-based pension – up to 5%.
- Stock options scheme.
- 32 days annual leave including duvet day.
- Private health cover.
- Life Insurance.
- Flexible hours.
- Fully stocked kitchen.
If you want to work on a revolutionary 3D mapping platform, please send your application to email@example.com
WRLD3D is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment selection is based on objective, job-related criteria, as well as a commitment to diversity. Applicants will be chosen on their merits and abilities.